What does my semen analysis report mean?

Hello Dr. My semen analysis is Volume 4ml, liquefaction 30 min, Viscosity Normal, pH - alkaline, fructose qualitative present, sperm count 210 million/ml, actively motile - 20%, sluggishly motile - 10% Non motile - 70% WBC - 0-2/hpf, rbc - Not found, Abstinence - more than 1 month
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 19 minutes later
Hi Indranil,

Thanks for posting your query

The normal Semen Analysis report findings are:
The volume of semen less than 1 ml is abnormal.The liquefaction of the semen should occur in 10 to 30 minutes and ph should be alkaline(between 7.2 and 7.8). Sperm count is the total number of sperms in a sample and should not be less than 10 million. Motility is the movement of the sperms which is quite important and in a particular sample at least 50% of the sperms should be motile.Pus cells can vary and 5 or 6 are normal in a sample.

In your sample the motile sperms percentage is less though other values are quite within the normal range. 30% of 210 millions/ml comes 63 million which is good number for a single sperm to swim and XXXXXXX an egg. I think you should just wait for it happen. I will suggest you to get a repeat semen analysis and Thyroid test done once again and consider visiting an Infertility Specialist for evaluation.
No medicine has proven to increase the motility percentages.

Some suggestions for you:
1) Have a healthy nutritious diet comprising fruits, veggies, salads etc. Include bananas, avocados, nuts, tomatoes as they help in increasing sperm count.
2) Take a Zinc supplementation once daily for few months.
3) Abstain from smoking and alcohol.
4) Do some form of exercise daily.
5) Avoid stress and practice meditation.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.
Follow-up: What does my semen analysis report mean? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr.
Will this condition of mine be ok for normal pregnancy? or should we directly try methods like IVF?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up

As per my suggestion you can try for a normal pregnancy for few months.
1)Have regular intercourse during the ovulation(fertile days) of your wife.
2)While having intercourse keep a pillow below your partners hips for better penetration.
3)Ask your partner not to get up from bed immediately after intercourse.
4)Both of you have healthy nutritious diet.
If even after few months you are not succesful then you can think of IVF.

Hope this helps
Follow-up: What does my semen analysis report mean? 12 minutes later
Thanks Again Dr. Mitaly,

My Wife is 33 and all her tests have come out normal. How many years does my wife as her fertile period? is this age ok for normal pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later
Hi Indranil,

Good to hear from you again.

It is good that your wife's reports are normal. A woman is fertile till the time she does not acheive menopause but as the age increases the chances of complications also increase though till the age of 35(womans age) it is fine and even many have conceived healthy babies after that.

Since you are planning for a baby ask her to take Folic Acid supplementation which is prescribed at least 3 months preconception and helps in preventing any neural diseases in the baby.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.