What does my husbands sperm report indicate ?

Hi, my husband recently did a sperm analysis (age 57)- concentration of 125 million / ml, motility 50% and 87% abnormal forms.

125 million/ ml sounds very high, but equally 50% very low. Is this normal? We are trying to have a baby.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 56 minutes later
Hi Fawcett,

The normal values of semen variables in a healthy adult male are as follows:
Sperm count: 20 to 150 million sperms/ml
Motility: 50% or more (at least 50% of the sperms are swimming and moving forward)
Morphology: 30% or more have normal shape
Please note that the normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories.

Your husband's sperm count (125 million/ml) and sperm motility (50% motile) seems normal.

The sperm morphology (87% abnormal forms) suggests that your husband's semen contains more abnormally shaped sperms than normal. So out of 125 million, if 87% are abnormal, 13% are normal which means around 20 million/ml (low normal) which is something to cheer about.

It is important to note that normal fertile men may occasionally show an abnormal test due to a natural variation in the semen quality and quantity. So a single abnormal value should not be taken as suggestive of infertility.

I would advise you to repeat a semen analysis at least 2 to 3 times at an interval of 1 to 3 weeks.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.