What does my chest X-ray results hyperinflation and apical capping mean?

Sep 2013

What does my chest X-ray results say hyperinflation and apical capping? I am a 66 yr women with newly discovered invasive ductal carcinoma.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Hyperinflation & air capping. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX. Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum. These two terms are for lungs field . Hyperinflation i.e.increased total lung capacity ,late in the disease.Hyperinflation of the thorax during tidal breathing PRESERVES maximum expiratory airflow,because as lung volume increases ,elastic recoil pressure increase and airways enlarge so that airways resistance decrease. Air capping ( also air trapping ) , increased residual volume and increased ratio of residual volume to total lung capacity. Hope this information will be helpful for you . Further any question I will reply in follow up. Good luck. Dr. HET