What does 'moderate diffuse cerebral volume loss with proportionate prominence of the ventrical system' indicate in a MRI report?

Question
I just had an MRI and the reprot says there is mild to moderate diffuse cerebral volume loss with proportionate prominence of the ventrical system
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: See below. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this finding and any disturbing thoughts this has caused you. I will like to address this with you in terms and explanations that you can understand. Cerebral volume: solid part of the brain that is responsible for mental functions. Ventricular system: These are cavities filled with fluid in the brain. As we age or in some disease conditions like dementia, the cerebral volume decreases. This decrease leaves behind space which is then occupied by an increase in the size of the ventricles. This simply means that the ventricles have increased in size because there is more space left by a loss of the brain solid mass. This is always expected and explains why older people have more fluid filled space(larger ventricles) than young adults. The reasons for the test would guide towards an understanding of the exact cause of this and make a diagnosis. Treatment would all depend on this as well. I hope this addresses your query fully. Feel free to ask for clarifications and more information if need be. I wish you well. Thanks for utilizing our services, we very much appreciate it. Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: What does 'moderate diffuse cerebral volume loss with proportionate prominence of the ventrical system' indicate in a MRI report? 31 minutes later
The reason for the MRI was due to memory issues The report also says No Hydrocephalus So would mild to moderate diffuse cerebral volume loss with proportionate prominence of the ventrical system be normal in a 52 year old male?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. It is not normal. This is supported by the fact that you have memory issues and findings on the MRI suggest this. Like I mentioned, our memory depends on the cerebral tissue and if there is diffuse loss, it means our memory size has also been decreased. The reasons for this should be sought and addressed to limit rapid deterioration. At times, nothing is really identified as the exact cause. I wish you well and hope this addresses your question fully. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.