What does 'mild frontal atrophy mild decreased attenuation in the lateral putamen' indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
i had a c.t. scan last night because of a headache the report says mild frontal atrophy mild decreased attenuation in the lateral putamen as well as periventricular white matter suggesting early microvascular ischemia. please tell me what does this mean? i have also been getting terrible headaches . like a pain in my head just over where the plate has been put in from my surgery. could this be a result of my surgery ie adhesions or could it be from my lupus. it doesn't feel like a miagrain but i guess it could be. please help me
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Headache may be due to lupus. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Mild frontal atrophy is age related finding.Don't worry about this and it can be ignored. Mild decreased attenuation in the lateral putamen as well as periventricular white matter suggesting early microvascular ischemia means there is hypodensity(decreased density)in mentioned area of brain.Hypodensity in white matter is generally due to ischemic changes involving small blood vessels. You need screening of conditions like hypertension,diabetes mellitus,dyslipidemia that may lead to ischemia(decreased blood supply). You need proper clinical examination and investigations.Investigations like routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile. Headache may be due to lupus or post-op changes.Lupus headache is just like migraine headache. You need MRI(with contrast)of brain to clearly depict post -op changes. You should consult neurologist. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does 'mild frontal atrophy mild decreased attenuation in the lateral putamen' indicate? 36 hours later
what does hypo density in white matter due to ischmeic changes mean? and what post operative changes are we looking f0r? thank you for your time! or? i feel i should tell you that i was in the e.r. last night with pain in my head what do i do?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Hpodensity(ischemia)means decreased blood supply Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back White matter(Type of Brain tissue) hypodensity due to ischemia means there is decreased blood supply in involved area of brain.It causes hypodensity(dark)lesion in CT Scan. You had operation for meningioma(type of brain tumour).MRI of brain with contrast is need in your case to see any remnant activity of tumour. Cause of headache in your case need detail evaluation.Lupus headache should be ruled out.You should consult neurologist. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX