What does mild aneurysmal dilation of the ascending throacic aorta mean?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
A recent MRI noted that there is a mild aneurysmal dilation of the ascending throacic aorta that measures 3.4 cm in diameter.

There is also a 1.9 cm enlarged nonspecific right axillary lymph node.

Can you be so kind to explain these to me?

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 1 hour later
Hello and welcome

As per your reports it looks your ascending throacic aorta that measures 3.4cm. Which is minimally dilated for that nothing has to be done.

Only you can do the echocardiography test after 6 month again to see the sizes etc.

Regarding right axillary lymph node there are no relation between ascending throacic aorta and lymph node enlargement. So don't worry and be happy

Wish you healthy heart

SUBROTO

Follow-up: What does mild aneurysmal dilation of the ascending throacic aorta mean? 10 hours later
I've been having problems with chest pains and fatigue for a year and a half. I sometimes have to take my hand and rub the heart. i thought it was a hiatal hernia I was diagnosed with in 1996.

I think I will see a cardiologist.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

As you said that you are a case of Haitus Hernia. In that case its better you consult with gastroenterologist first. If he suggests you may XXXXXXX with cardiologist.

In my opinion you should XXXXXXX with gastroenterologist first.

Wish you good health.

Dr SUBROTO