What does lump in breast indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Lump in breast still concerning me
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You need clinical examination and mammography. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us You need proper clinical examination by a surgeon and need few investigations. Any breast lump shouldn't be ignored.Lump may be due to inflammation,tumour etc. During examination it is important to examine consistency,margin,number,overlying skin etc.It is also very important to examine lymph nodes. After proper clinical examination,mammography should be done combined with sonography of the breasts.It will detect the lesions.MRI breast is needed in few cases. Ultrasonography of abdomen can be done if needed. Proper treatment depend upon clinical findings and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does lump in breast indicate? 19 hours later
I have been seen. N scanned. But it seems invisible. But palpable. Dr said its prob a nodule. I didnt think they were under areola area behind the nipple. Thats where the lump is

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer: You can take second opinion if you are confident. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back It should be visible during sonomammography as you can feel the lump. You can guide the radiologist about location of swelling during sonography. You can also take second opinion if you are confident of your palpation findings. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX