What does lower abdominal pain along with fever indicate?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am a 52 year old woman and I have been have severe lower ab. pain in my right groin area for the past 12 hours. I also have a low grade fever. I have not lifted anything heavy and I had a good bowel movement before the pain started. A heating pad helps as long as I stay off my feet. Should I go to the ER?
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You should go to ER Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. Abdominal pain in the right lower abdomen along with fever could indicate appendicitis. It has to be confirmed by clinical exam and ultrasound scan of the abdomen. I would advise you to go to ER for clinical exam and ultrasound scan and further management. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.R.K

Follow-up: What does lower abdominal pain along with fever indicate? 33 hours later
I was checking my email for an answer, but my husband found the notification of a response in my SPAM folder. It seems to be just a pulled muscle as the pain stopped with no activity. I failed to tell you that I have birthed 7 children and several years ago I had an exam that indicated I had a thinning of the abdominal wall at that same spot. The area in question is to the right of my pubic bone. Thank you!

Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Since you have got relief from pain and you no longer have any symptoms, it is most likely to be muscle pull as you have said and appendicitis is less likely. If there is thinning of abdominal wall, look for hernia there. If there is a swelling in that area and if it is not reducing, then get medical attention. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.R.K