What does low white cell count indicate?

Hello, My name is XXXXXXX My friend who suffers from alcoholism, end stage hep. c, breast cancer, ( she stopped radiation therapy after 17 treatments) and has just recently started on antibiotic treatment foe a kidney infection. While at the clinic where she was diagnosed with the kidney infection, the Doctor also told her that she had a very low white cell count. She is shy, and did not ask what that meant. So, I am asking for her, what could this mean for her? What could cause a reduction in her white cell count? Thank you so much. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hepatitis C infection, bone marrow failure. Detailed Answer: Hello, First let me explain what is White Blood Cells. White blood cells are nothing but a cells in the blood from bone marrow and lymph nodes that fight against infections. Thus it may be elevated or decreased in infections. It may also be elevated or decreased in cancers of bone marrow or lymph nodes. It might due to one of three or all the three factors she is suffering from 1. hepatitis C infection 2. Radiotherapy leading to bone marrow failure. 3. Breast cancer leading to secondaries in bone resulting in bone marrow failure. This also indicates that her immunity is low. Thus continue the treatment what ever your treating doctor mentioned and have regular review with your doctor. Please let me know if you have further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow-up: What does low white cell count indicate? 16 hours later
Keeping in mind her many medical problems, what kind of doctor should she see next? thank you, XXXXXXX Andersen
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Oncologist. To rule out secondaries, Bone marrow f Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your reply. I would like to advice you to consult a Oncologist. as she was suffering from Breast cancer and had radiotherapy earlier. It might be the good option to rule out any secondaries of breast cancer or bone marrow failure. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.