What does low platelet count indicate?

Question
12 YEARS AGO i WAS DIAGNOSED DUE TO A LOW PLATELET COUNT OF 60 /55 AS A PLASTIC ANEMIA. iT RESOLVED AFTER TWO YEARS AND I HAVE BEEN FINE WITH PLATELETS IN THE HIGH 190S AND OVER 230, HOWEVER I NOW SEE MY PLATELETSW SLOWLY MOVING DFOWNWARD OVER THE LAST NINE MONTHS NOW AT 159 WHAT CAN I ASSUME?
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possible return of aplastic anemia... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, If your platelets have been moving downward over the last nine months, I think there would be also decrease in other blood elements. Can you provide the reports of your blood tests you did? That could help me assist you further! If platelets keep moving downward, it might be because of: - aplastic anemia re-appearance - any drug/medication you have been using - common infection you might have been passed - primary biliary cirrhosis and/or drugs you might be using for this (billiary acids/cortisonics) I suggest to discuss with your GI specialist if biliary cirrhosis or drugs you might be taking could be the causes to your low platelet and to take proper treatment according to the cause of such low levels. Hope it was of help! Dr.Sejdini

Follow-up: What does low platelet count indicate? 4 hours later
Other blood tests have not changed.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Re-evaluation of primary biliary cirrhosis needed. Detailed Answer: Hi, If this is your case, then, I suggest to discuss further with your doctor regarding the status of primary biliary cirrhosis and get proper treatment as per earlier suggestions. Dr.Sejdini