What does low implantation of gestational sac mean?

I am 7 weeks pregnant and had an ultrasound on the 29th of July and I was told that I had low implantation of gestational sac. What can happen, what does this mean?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 56 minutes later
Hi ,

Thanks for posting your query

Implantation is the adhering of the embryo to the uterus and upper part is the most favourable part for implantation as the blood supply is high there and also is XXXXXXX in nutrients and oxygen.

When the embryo adheres to the lower uterine segment of uterus then it is known as Low implantation and it can lead to low placenta and thus Placenta Previa.

As the blood supply is less in the lower part so initially risk of miscarriage is there and later chances of growth restriction,preterm labour and C section are high.

You have to be extra cautious during the first trimester especially.

1)Take proper rest and avoid any kind of work which involves weight lifting and unnecessary stress on the body.
2)Take well balanced diet comprising of pulses,cereals,fruits,veggies.
3)Completely avoid smoking and alcohol.
4)Avoid intercourse especially till first trimester.
5)Drink lots of water,juices.
6)Avoid any kind of stress,travelling and exercise as bleeding can occur.

Kindly visit your Gynaecologist for pelvic examination and detailed evaluation.You might be requested to come for a follow up scan after few weeks.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query
Follow-up: What does low implantation of gestational sac mean? 7 hours later
Could this result in a hysterectomy? If the doctor wants to terminate my pregnancy should I get a second opinion?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

No, this cannot result in Hysterectomy.

Usually if everything is fine then even termination is not an option and the child can be delivered through cesarean section.

It depends on the growth of the baby and other factors.

If you wish to you can go for the second opinion.

Wishing you a healthy pregnancy.