What does "low albumin and/or high globulin" indicate?
User rating for this question
On Dec. 12th my Albumin was 4.0 (normal) and my total Globulin was 2.6(normal) which resulted in a normal A/G Ratio of 1.5g/dl. The normal range of ratio was .7-2.0 In the same lab, Feb 21, my albumin was 4.6(normal) and my total globulin was1.8(normal), however, my A/G ration was 2.6(high). However in the same lab the normal range was now different. It was 1.1-2.5. I was concerned because I read that a high A/G ration can be a marker for Leukemia. I don't have any of the symptoms of Leukemia and my WBC is normal on the low end. Should I just get it retested in a month? Not sure why the reference ranges in the same lab change in 2 months. But I am concerned that my total globulin level decreased from 2.6 to 1.8. can variations like this occur within 2 months?
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Does not seem to be of concern Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. We are more concerned about low albumin and/or high globulin, as this profile is associated with disease. A normal albumin and low normal globulin does not signify anything. it is just a normal variation. The slightly high A: G ratio will therefore be taken as normal. Also fall in globulin from 2.6 to 1.8 may be a normal variation. In the same lab, if they change the test kit, the normal range may change. As the hemoglobin has improved with iron, I don't think there is any need of retesting in one month. I don't see any possibility of leukemia. There is no relation of leukemia with high A: G ratio. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
People also viewed
- Low albumin globulin ratio significance
- Iron deficiency plmonary wheeze
- Plavix and iron deficiency
- Is there a medical way to forget someone
- Iron deficiency pimple rash
- Low globulin and high albumin globulin ratio
- Albumin and globulin
- Iron deficiency and presbyopia
- Inflamed chest cartilage
- If a child has cough cold back pains vomit nasal congestion fever sneeze
- Iron deficiency skin patch
- Inhalation of bleach fumes is injurious to tonsils
- What does low albumin andor high globulin indicate
- Iliofemoral ligament stretch
- What is a normal albumin globulin ratio