What does long hanging skin tag from the labia major indicate?

I found what appears to be a long hanging skin tag from the labia major. It is now slightly irritating. I don't know how long it has been there or when it appeared. It is this dangerous?
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Is it a skin tag or a wart? Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same . Now from the description ,it looks like you have a skin tag. But I would like to tell you that skin colored raised lesions over the genitals can either be skin tags or they can even be warts. It is important to differentiate between the two conditions since the approach to both of these is different. In case you are sure that it is a skin tag and is not causing any discomfort to you or increasing in size, it can be left on its own. But if you are in any doubt , then you can click some close up pictures of the skin lesions and upload them here on this page. You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul . I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the above details and the pictures . Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What does long hanging skin tag from the labia major indicate? 25 minutes later
With apologies I uploaded a photo. Now I am not sure if it is a wart or tag.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: More likely to be a viral wart,need to see doctor Detailed Answer: Hi again I have seen the attached picture . Although I must confess that the picture quality is not that good but from what I could make out from the picture, the lesion looks more like a viral wart. I would suggest that you should see a local dermatologist or a gynaecologist . Although this condition does not need an immediate action but it is likely to increase in size and it can even lead to development of more lesions if left by itself. Warts over the genitals are basically contagious in nature but these are very slow growing lesions. These can be treated by a doctor by various methods mainly by chemical cauterisation. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What does long hanging skin tag from the labia major indicate? 3 minutes later
Am I to assume my husband has been unfaithful?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Long incubation period of warts Detailed Answer: Hi again I would really recommend that you take a second opinion also from a local doctor since it surely needs a direct examination ,by which we can be very very sure. If you can send me a better picture, I might tell you in confirmation. Also I would like to tell you that genital warts are very very slow growing and they have a very long incubation period too. This means that you might have acquired the infection years back, even decades back and then it took years to appear and then slowly grow. You cannot really comment on the exact time that you got infected. Hope that clarifies your query Dr Geetika Paul