What does itching and burning in the rectal area indicate?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am 60 year old female and experiencing itching and burning in the rectal area . I have no bleeding thoug What could it be? This has been going on for about a year
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: HI Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for the query. The possibilities are development of fungal infection in perianal area or worm infestations. Can apply clotirmazole (candid ) cream thrice a day for 7 days and see how you feel. It is usually available over the counter. Also can take a deworming tablet like albendazole 400 mg single dose which is also usually available over the counter. Also in addition can take isapgula husk ( fibre supplement ) to keep your stools soft. Worthwhile getting your thyroid rechecked if you are feeling constipated. If still symptoms persist then need to see a gastroenterologist. Hope this answers your query. Best wishes.

Follow-up: What does itching and burning in the rectal area indicate? 15 hours later
Dr. Deshmukh- Thank you so so much for the information. It is an emarraing question but I couldn't take the discomfort anymore. Can I take both at the same time? Or try one then the other. What could have caused this? Any way to stop it? Foods I am eating or soaps I use? Worms that is so embarrassing. Hopefully it is just a fungal infection. You have been so helpful and I feel a bit relived now that I have an answer. Rose

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 14 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for the query. Can take all the medications at the same time. Usually mild fungal infection or worms are known to cause itching. Keep that area clean dry and free of sweat if possible. Unlikely food can cause it, except unhygienic food and water can cause worm infection. Need not worry Best wishes.