What does it mean when smoking a cigarette causes me to gag?

for the past few months when i smoke a cigarette it makes me gag...what does that mean?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Cigarettes are naturally harmful for our respiratory tract. And if you are gagging, its your bodies natural response telling you that its not agreeing with the cigarettes. This gagging can be due to the allergic response to the fumes or due to the irritation and dryness of throat that is caused by the cigarette smoke.
Try to keep your throat moist as far as possible by chewing gum or havibng lozenges.
Steam inhalation might reduce your symptoms to some extent.
It is time that you started thinking seriously about quitting smoking.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.