What does it mean when my MRI report shows exaggerated lower lumbar lordosis?

I am 53 year old female, 5"2", 180 lbs.
My mri showed exaggerated lower lumbar lordosis with anterolisthesis measuring 6.0mm at L-5 - S1 with slight diffuse disc buldging and bilatral facet arthrosis. Also disc desiccation and loss of disc height with degenerative endplate changes at the thorocolumbar junction, particularly anteriorly at T12-L1, where there are moderate degenerative endplate changes anteriorly and slight diffuse disc bulging.
What does this mean???
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for your query,

The above report indicates changes in the inter-vertebral disc ( discs made of outer fibrous capsule and inner soft tissue present in the spine between two vertebral bones) either due to ager related degenertive changes or due to lack of exercise and faulty positioning of the spine at work for long hours.

In you the disks are bulged due to pressure from the vertebral body ( bones) in the spine resulting in weakening and stretching of the outer fibrous layer .This if not corrected by conservative methods like exercise , immobilization there could be herniation of the soft tissue in the disc through given away fibrous capsule.Then the herniated disc may apply pressure on the nerves arising from the spinal cord in the spine leading to numerous neural symptoms.

The desiccation and loss of height are due to bulge in the disc on one side.Lordoisis is anterior bending of the spine which could be a secondary effect of the deformed discs.

Do use Lumbosacral belt which will minimize the movements in the lower spine and help you in reversing the defect.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.