What does it mean when hands are tingling?

What does it mean when your hands are tingling?
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 hours later
Tingling in the hands at your age can be due to many causes. These include injury to the neck or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply to the arms as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause tingling and pins and needle sensations.

Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Also get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.