What does it mean when blisters appear on a bruise?

what does it mean when blisters appear on a bruise?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Blisters are usually seen due to either burnt trauma of due to infections where as the bruise are due to a trauma like a hit with a blunt object.

I would be more specific in opining ,if you can provide some more details of your problem like

The site of the lesion
The size of the lesion
Since when do you have the lesion ?
Did you injure yourself ?

Anticipating your response,
Follow-up: What does it mean when blisters appear on a bruise? 9 hours later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX
The bruise is in the inside of my calf, extending around to the back of the calf. I tripped over a box and fell - that is where the bruise has appeared. It is VERY swollen and the skin around my leg is very tight. The blisters have appeared on the surface of the bruise. The blisters appear to have yellowish-red liquid in them. Not red like a blood blisters...
Thank you, again.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Based upon your description I suspect the bruise you had after injury has got infected and presented with a blister.

This is very common and can be easily treated by a course of antibiotics with or without incision and drainage of the blister.

The blister if left unattended will grow and may break discharging the pus.Do start a course of antibiotics after discussing the same with your treating doctor.

Wish you good health.