What does it mean when TSH results are high? What does free T4 test mean?

my tsh results came back high what does that mean? my doc wants me to get a free T4 test what does that mean?
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later

The TSH test is often the test of choice for evaluating thyroid function and/or symptoms of hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism. It is frequently ordered along with or preceding a T4 test.

TSH testing is done to...
1...Diagnose a thyroid disorder in a person with symptoms
2....Diagnose and monitor female infertility problems
3.....Screen adults for thyroid disorders etc

TSH and T4 testing is done when a person has symptoms which suggest that that either a person is having hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.
I hope to have answered your question however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: What does it mean when TSH results are high? What does free T4 test mean? 19 hours later
So what does it mean if my TSH comes back high again on the free T4 test?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
High TSH means you may be suffering from HYPOTHYROIDISM( lack of thyroid hormones in body ).
With high TSH you may have normal or low levels of T4 hormone.