Ask a Urologist   »  

What does it mean if X-ray result say that I have pelvic calcifications?

Feel like i have kidney infection under my right rib in my back for 2 mnths now. Dr did xray..results say, multiple rounded calific densities with lucent centers in pelvis, a small punctate clification in hemipelvis. Have ct scans today, but what could this mean?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 12 minutes later

I hope that I would have satisfied your queries by the end of this session.

It is very rare to have such a long term infection without other signs and symptoms like fever, blood in urine, pus cells in urine etc.

Also what I can decipher from your X-ray is that you may have CALCULI IN PELVIS OF KIDNEY and possibly in distal URINARY SYSTEM, that is multiple stones in bladder & ureter.

But your CT Scan report can point to a specific cause and location. Let me know its report.

Waiting for your CT scan report in follow-up.
Follow-up: What does it mean if X-ray result say that I have pelvic calcifications? 1 hour later
If its been 2 mnths, will they pass on their own or will it require surgery?
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 3 hours later

Welcome back to XXXXXXX

Urinary bladder stones (as I suspect) may lie around without causing symptoms / damage. Rarely they will pass out on their own. Since the volume of bladder is quite high most often the stones are asymptomatic needing treatment if they are associated with infection.

They usually do not require surgery to get them removed. Medical treatment such as use of antibiotics is advised if there are symptoms of infection.

Kindly post your CT scan report at the earliest.