What does irregular opacity in right para cardiac region mean?

Question
what does irregular opacity seen in right para cardiac region mean?
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 16 minutes later
Hello.

Thank you for writing to us.

Irregular lung opacity in the right para-cardiac region could have many different causes. It could be due to an old infection, current infection, thickening of lung parenchyme, etc.

If you are asymptomatic you need not worry, but if you are experiencing symptoms like fever, cough, loss of appetite, fatigue, etc; it is most likely an active infection. In my opinion this could most probably be pneumonitis.

Treatment includes antibiotic therapy (for 5-7 days), oxygen (if severe shortness of breath) and/or corticosteroids (to relieve symptoms).

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information or clarifications.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: What does irregular opacity in right para cardiac region mean? 5 minutes later
do i have to do any other tests, I am having the pain below my right breast for quite some time now, i faintly remember it may be more than a year old but recently it has become more I experience a sharp pain at times when I bend down or when i get up from a sitting position or when i sleep on my sides when I have been sitting for more than 5 minutes, can you advise on these symptoms? I went to a doctor who prescribed a battery of tests out of which I did X XXXXXXX and USG, in the x XXXXXXX it was mentioned about the opacity which I put a query for.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
Hello once again.

From the history you just provided us, this could either be fibrosis/scarring (after healing from an old infection) of the lung tissue causing the pain or an infection like tuberculosis (TB) which is a long-term infection. To rule out TB please get a mantoux test done. An elaborate blood investigation would also help in providing more information.

Do you have a history of cough (lasting more than 2 weeks), history of fever, fatigue, unintentional weight loss, etc.

Do write back to me for any further information and with a kind response to my query.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: What does irregular opacity in right para cardiac region mean? 6 minutes later
I did not have a lung infection before and i don't have cough problems did not have it ever.
i have survived in extreme cold conditions in europe and have come to india in the month of March, 2012. i had a cold cramp in my feet for which i had pain in my feet but no swelling or anything it was solved recently.
thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Tuberculosis is latent in India, there are chances you were exposed to a TB-infected individual. You can never be too sure. So ruling this out would help.

Sadly, due to your history and current presentation, it would be best to further investigate your condition.

Also, if blood investigations return normal and all causes have been ruled out, your condition could most probably be due to an old infection (as mentioned earlier). The location has been causing you the pain.

This can be managed with breathing exercises and mild pain management medication.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information.