What does increasing CMIA value indicate?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
hi i had got a blow job from a profesional. After 8 weeks of possible exposure, i took HIV !&2 test including p24 antigen. The test was non reactive with CMIA index value 0.2, i again took the same test after 13 weeks of exposure, the result was again negative with index value of .43. I again took the test at 15 weeks, the result was again negative with index value of 0.52. I am worried because this CMIA index value is continuously increasing. I am really worried. Does it indicate something. Should i again take test
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Diagnostic test for HIV Detailed Answer: Hello, As you have undergone HIV 1 and 2 and P24 COMBO test (CMIA) at 8 weeks of possible exposure and the test as come as Non Reactive with index of 0.2. It means that antibodies to HIV 1 / 2 have not been detected in the sample. This means that you are either not been exposed to HIV 1/2 infection or the sample has been tested during window period (before the development of detectable levels of antibodies). As you have repeated the test after 13 weeks of possible exposure that is after 90 days of exposure and the test as come as negative with index 0.43 . Once again you have repeated the test after 15 (105 days) weeks of possible exposure and the test as come as negative with index of 0.52. Your concern is regarding increase in index value, don't worry as your result as come negative after 90 days of possible exposure .It is 100% conclusive that your are negative for HIV 1/2 infection. These index values can really fluctuate. If you take test several times a day and your index value will fluctuate. The p24 antigen tests are only useful in the immediate short term i.e. 2-4 weeks after infection. They are sensitive and effective and used only in conjunction with other testing. So I suggest you that there is no need for test again, as you are negative for HIV 1/2 after 90 days of possible exposure .Nothing to worry. Be careful with all these practices,personal protection measures are very important with disease like HIV/AIDS. Hope I have cleared all your doubts,If you have any query please feel free to post the query. Thank you.

Follow-up: What does increasing CMIA value indicate? 20 hours later
Thanks for the reply Sir. I have one more doubt. Does this CMIA indicates the immunity level of the body for ex. if the CMIA index is in the range of 0.8 to 0.9, the immunity level of person is very low and a person with CMIA index of less than 0.1 is having high immunity.

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Diagnostic Test for HIV Detailed Answer: Hello, It is my pleasure to help you, CMIA Index has got no role in deciding the immunity status of an individual. Index Values do not determine HIV status. It is very common for people to read the index values and are worry about why the number is going up or down. Many people fear that as their index values are increasing means that eventually they will test positive. This assumption is absolutely 100% false. Your increase in index value numbers means nothing. The increase in the Index Values has absolutely nothing to do with your results and immunity status. Hope you got he answer, still if you have got any queries please feel free to post the query. Thank you.