Ask a Urologist   »  

What does high nitrate and high specific gravity mean in urine test?

Dec 2012

What does high nitrate and high specific gravity mean in a urine test?
There has also been blood in the urine.
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

It could mean you are having a urinary tract infection or kidney stones. High nitrate and high specific gravity are not very specific, so can simply mean either UTI or stones. Blood in urine simply also interprets either condition.
You will probably need a kidney ultrasound or scan to determine which one is which. A nephrologist will be the specialist of choice to consult with.

Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: What does high nitrate and high specific gravity mean in urine test? 3 hours later
Thank you I will go into the clinic here on Monday. In the meantime as I have a day before I can get to medical care other than flushing with lots of water what else are you able to suggest?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 26 hours later

You are welcome and I wish you all the best. Well there is not much you can do at this point besides trying diet change which contains less salt or not too many minerals. First, the doctor will need to confirm stones then you will be put on a diet plan to prevent future stones.

Hope this helps