What does high neutrophils and low lymphocytes in a lab report indicate?

Hello, My mother is having recurring fever, which goes down after taking paracetamol since yesterday. Today she passed stools( 2 times) with little blood and mucus. Dr. has started her on Levoflox. I can show her to a doc only tomorrow evening. Her lab reports indicate high neutrophils (80) and low lymphocytes(18). Is this serious? Does she need to be admitted immediately? Can it wait till tomorrow evening? She is 69 yrs old.
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Infection or inflammatory bowel disease. Stool exa Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. I suspect it to be due to either Inflammatory bowel disease or intestinal infection. Both causes the mucous and blood in stool. It is usual to have the High Neutrophils and low lymphocytes in infection. As your doctor started antibiotics, Please continue the antibiotics. She do not need to admitted immediately. you can wait till tomorrow evening for consultation. Even after the course of treatment, if the symptoms persists then she need further investigations like 1. Stool examination for ova, cysts and parasites and Stool culture 2. Complete blood count as well as differential count after treatment. 3. Colonoscopy if needed. Please remember Colon and rectal cancer can also present with blood and mucous in stools and can give rise to a variety of other symptoms such as weight loss, changes in the appearance or frequency of bowel movements, and abdominal discomfort. Thus she need to be further investigation properly if the problem persists. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.