What does high monocytes and immature granulocytes indicate?

What does it mean when your monocyetes and immature granulocytes are high?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
High monocytes & immature granulocytes the the blood can be seen in various conditions, such as infectious. This needs to be followed with a physician so the blood work results can be correlated with symptoms & other studies.
Follow-up: What does high monocytes and immature granulocytes indicate? 2 days later
My oncologist says it's due to inflammation and this is the reason for my fevers every day. My total WBC has slowly been decreasing over the last 4 months. My normal WBC has always been around 10 and has droped to 6. I have low grade fevers every day that start around 2 pm and last the rest of the day. I suffer from night sweats and extreme fatigue, soar mucles and my bones hurt when moving. I have tested positive for lynch syndrome and am worried that cancer may have returned but my oncologist doesn't seem concerened. Should i seek another doctor. My original CEA marker before they removed the tumor was .5 when diagnosed with stage 2b colon cancer it has now gone up to 1.9 but again he is not concerned because it is still in normal limits. Any advice would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 days later
Brief Answer: Yes, it can be due to inflammation. Detailed Answer: Your oncologist is right, it can be due to inflammation as well. Your symptoms suggest a chronic on-going inflammatory process like Tuberculosis or auto-immune process within your body. I am sorry about the Lynch syndrome. Your current CEA level at 1.9 is normal. It does not necessarily mean that the cancer has returned. In fact, it is very unlikely. You could go for a repeat or check Colonoscopy to look for recurrence of cancer. The current level of CEA is not alarming. If you are unsatisfied with your present doctor, you may seek another doctor. It is your comfort and satisfaction that matters. Hope this helps you. Take care!