What does high BHCG levels during pregnancy indicate?

May 2013
My wife is 30 yrs old and she is 16 weeks into pregnancy. She has finished NT scan test with blood screening during 13th week. The results are Double Marker Test: Free BHCG 134.00 PAPP-A 2.85 MoM Values: Free BHCG 3.64 PAPP-A 0.64 NT MOM 0.71 Risk Calculation: Trisomy 21 1:456 Trisomy 13/18 < 1: 10000 From NT Scan Report: Nuchal Translucenceny 1.2mm - Normal Doctor was concerned about higher lelvel of BHCG levels and she has asked us to take early anomaly scan around 17 week. She mentioned that we can decide about taking aminocentisis test after anomoly scan. I would like to take second opinion with above results. My questions are 1. Is there any thing to worry with above results? 2. Is aminocentesis necessary to take for above screening results? ( It is not about money) 3. Would anomoly scan around 17th week provide any idea about NT measurement / risk assesment? Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Brief Answer: TIFFA scan, quadruple test Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. 1. In double marker test high levels of free BHCG levels indicate the possibility of down syndrome. After taking the BHCG levels, NT, age of the mother etc into consideration risk calculation is given. Below 1:1000 can be taken as screen negative. Risk calculation of 1: 456 may not be indicating high risk but better to get evaluated. 2. Better to undergo TIFFA scan and quadruple test at around 18 weeks of gestation. Then according to the results decision about the amniocentesis can be taken. 3.Usually NT measurement is not useful after 14 weeks of gestation. Other parameters can help in assessing the risk. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.