What does having sudden flashes of pain in the head mean?

Nov 2013

What does having sudden flashes of pain lasting for 2-4 seconds in the head mean?
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are neuralgic pain

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

Sudden episodes of pain in head, lasting for a few seconds are often neuralgia. These most often arise in the trigeminal nerve, which supplies sensation to the skin over head and face, and also intra-cranial structures.

Mostly, it is not serious; however, if the symptoms are recurring or increasing, MRI of brain may be required to find out the underlying reason.

As of now, carbamazepine tablets may be used for relief of symptoms.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My blog: