What does hard lump on inner shin,indicate?

I am a 37 year old male. I went skiing last week. I do not know of any trauma that occurred. I noticed 1/2 hour ago on the inner portion of my right shin bone, a hard lump approximately 1 1/2 inches long.The lump does not move. It just sticks around. I have no pain, and there is no discoloration. I am nervousJerry
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Be relaxed, there is no reason to get worried now. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this swelling that you just noticed. I have read through your activities prior to discovering this swelling and the description. There is absolutely nothing to get worried of at this time. If anything else like increased size, pains, or fever, then you may want to get it checked out. However, these incidental swellings generally resolve without need for medical treatment. It could have resulted from mild trauma that occurred during the skiing. Wit very low temperatures, pains or immediate swelling would be greatly tampered. Just like we use ice blocks to reduce swelling and pains. For now, stay relaxed. monitor it and reported any changes like those noted above. My gut feeling is that you would do just well without need for any further attention. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for more information if need. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What does hard lump on inner shin,indicate? 14 minutes later
Dear Dr. Ditah, Thank you very much for your expert advice. Does it make a difference that the bump is very hard and seems like it is adhered to the bone? Thank you again, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It would but I doubt if that is the case! Detailed Answer: Hard lumps that adhere to the bone raise the concern of cancers. I will not want to suspect this given the acute nature of this finding. I will advice that you monitor this over a few more days and let us see what we get. If new information should suggest otherwise, then we would pursue such options. For now, there is no point to get too worried. I wish you well. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.