What does gamma GT in a blood test mean and is it caused due to regular alcohol intake with paracetamol and codeine?

General Surgeon
Question
I just had a blood test for insurance my gamma gt was 700 what is the damage to my liver. I drink regularly and was taking a lot of paracetamol and codeine which I have now stopped I have also reduced alcohol intake will this help
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, this will help. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Ggt is a liver cells enzyme which gets elevated when some part of liver gets injured (not all liver needs to be harmed to make ggt elevated). It can get elevated if you have been drinking along with paracetamol intake. Luckily liver has a great ability to regenerate. So if you stop drinking liver shoud get back to normal ( if it is not liver cirhosis). Elevated ggt can also indicate liver viral infection. If you have been recently to a hospital and have had some injections, HBV and HCV infection should be ruled out. Next liver test should be done for about one month. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards Do I need to stop drinking or can I just reduce alcohol and it will it go down Also how do I know if its cirrhosis. I am not symptomatic, as in no jaundice , dark urine ect and generally feel well

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You shoul stop drinking. Detailed Answer: You should definitely stop drinking. This is the most important thing if you want your liver to get back to normal. Cirhosis can be diagnosed with ultrasound and biopsy (if required). It can give no symptoms for a long time. Regards

Follow-up: What does gamma GT in a blood test mean and is it caused due to regular alcohol intake with paracetamol and codeine? 20 hours later
Is a Gamma gt of 700 mean liver failure

Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: No,it just indicates that some part of liver cells were destroyed. But liver function seems to be fine. How are your other liver tests?

Follow-up: What does gamma GT in a blood test mean and is it caused due to regular alcohol intake with paracetamol and codeine? 13 minutes later
I haven't had any other liver function tests done only triglycerides which were elevated 4.4. What do you think the problem is should I have follow up tests will these cells repair now that I have ceased taking paracetamol but continue to drink

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Other liver tests should be done if you have any symptoms like dark urine, yellow skin, white stool, skin itching, abdominal pain, bleedings from nose or easy bruising. Alcohol has to be stopped. Otherwise it wont regenerate. Regards.

Follow-up: What does gamma GT in a blood test mean and is it caused due to regular alcohol intake with paracetamol and codeine? 10 hours later
Won't it regenerate if I just cot down? I have stopped panadol and codeine tabs this will help it regenerate won't it
Follow-up: What does gamma GT in a blood test mean and is it caused due to regular alcohol intake with paracetamol and codeine? 7 minutes later
I have stopped panadol and codeine tabs this will help it regenerate won't it

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 hours later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Unfortunatelly alcohol is the most destructive factor from all mentioned by you. You can take panadol and codeine for years without liver destruction. But you can not drink alcohol without liver problems. Alcohol in high dosage is nothing more than a poison. So if you want to heal your liver, you should cut the alcohol.

Follow-up: What does gamma GT in a blood test mean and is it caused due to regular alcohol intake with paracetamol and codeine? 20 minutes later
Since I stoped the codeine and panadol I've developed soreness under my right ribs loss of appetite and nausea is this normal

Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Yes, you should cut alcohol right down. If you want to regenerate your liver, you should be free from alcohol for at least a month. Your abdominal pain and loss of apetite can indicate chronic pancreas inflammation. It is possible if you have been drinking for quite long time. Other liver tests,pancreas tests and abdominal ultrasound should be done.

Follow-up: What does gamma GT in a blood test mean and is it caused due to regular alcohol intake with paracetamol and codeine? 6 minutes later
Ok thanks so it's not from stoping the codiene which I've been taking 8 a day from10 years with the alcohol

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Well, it can be as you are for sure addicted to both codeine and alcohol. Your problem is quite complicated and proper diagnostics is necessary. I suggest you to do not quit both together. I would start from quitting alcohol and gradual decreasing the dosage of codeine. Liver and pancreas condition needs to be checked.

Follow-up: What does gamma GT in a blood test mean and is it caused due to regular alcohol intake with paracetamol and codeine? 18 minutes later
Ok I will thank you for all your advise

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: You are welcome.