Ask a Urologist   »  

What does full left kidney mean in an ultra sound report and is it related to hypertension?

Apr 2014

I recently had an abdominal ultra sound done with a full bladder. When given the results the doctor went over all the organs, descriptions, no problems, no masses, no lesions, normal right kidney but full left kidney. Any idea what this could mean. I do suffer from hypertension which is controlled with meds but the last two weeks it has been all over the place, can this be related. I have also noticed considerable swelling and tenderness just below the big toe on my right food.
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Fullness of kidney is a benign condition. Detailed Answer: xxxx Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Fullness in left kidney is a benign condition and there is no need to worry at all.Fullness is due to mild dilatation of pelvis & calyces of kidney where urine drained into before it goes out into the ureter. This condition is called as pelvicaliectasis and it may occur when you have a full bladder.So,don't worry. You should continue your medicines for hypertension and it is not related to your journey at all. For your problem in right foot,you can take analgesics with anti inflammatory drugs.If it doesn't subside then you should consult orthopedician. You may need further examination. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX