What does free T4 of .84 and a TSH of 1.2 mean,when diagnosed with PCOS?

What does a free T4 of .84 and a TSH of 1.2 in a 20 year old diagnosed with PCOS of normal BMI with recurrent tonsil infections, and a upper back and hips that have loose joints and weak muscles so they pop. Are those lab significant in such a person? are there questions she should be asking her doctor about her thyroid?
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: This is normal for thyroid Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about what your daughter has been experiencing. It sounds like there are a couple of things not going right with her. It would be best to follow up with her primary care doctor to get all these addressed. At least, the doctor should be able to coordinate care to involve a gynecologist and an orthopedic surgeon to address this PCOS and menstrual irregularities while the orthopedist looks into the popping hip and shoulders. Regarding the thyroid function test, the values are totally normal. There would be no reasons to go asking the doctor about this. Though free T4 is borderline, the value of TSH and absent symptoms suggestive of hypothyroidism raise no suspicion of a malfunctioning thyroid. I hope this addresses the query fully. Feel free to ask for more questions if need be. Follow up with the above mentioned specialist to receive full investigation and management of the reported symptoms. I wish her well. Dr. Ditah, MD.