What does 'focal pleural thickening along anterior basal segment Rt lower lobe' mean and is it serious condition?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here... hi doctor my husband age 26 had taken medical checkup for visa but we identify that "focal pleural thickening a long anterior basal segment of right lower lobe".what does it mean?.how it should be treated ? is it serious disease. reply me immediately
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: It has to be differentiated from pleural effusion. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Your description is not very clear. It must be `focal pleural thickening along anterior basal segment Rt lower lobe` and not `focal thickening a long basal segment Rt lower lobe(no space between a and long).` There can be many causes of pleural thickening, some common ones being infection, trauma to chest wall, drugs etc. Most common cause in our country is TB and for visa, concerned authorities may want to rule out Tubercular infection. From your description it is clear that your husband has no symptoms and it is only an accidental finding. However you may get an USG chest done to differentiate it from fluid collection ie pleural effusion, though it looks highly unlikely. Better would be a CT chest which may show the status of underlying lungs also.

Follow-up: What does 'focal pleural thickening along anterior basal segment Rt lower lobe' mean and is it serious condition? 48 hours later
madam, my husband doesn't have any bad habits.tomorrow operation was done for "focal pleural thickening a long anterior basal segment of right lower lobe". i want to know that whether after operation all will be cured or not. whether it come back or there will be any symptoms

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 14 hours later
Brief Answer: You have not given the details of the operation. Detailed Answer: You have not mentioned what kind of operation has been done. Is it a biopsy or removal of some part of lung/pleura and what for surgery has been done? it is important. If it`s a major surgery, there may be collection of some fluid which will dry up eventually and may lead pleural thickening which will also disappear over a course of time.