What does few fibrotic infiltrates in apical segment of right upper lobe and calcified nodular lesion indicate?

Pulmonologist
Question
My father is 58 years he is diagnose with few fibrotic infiltrates are seen in apical segment of right upper lobe and small calcified nodular lesion seen in superior segment of left lower lobe..plss help me know what exactly the desease.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It may be a simple healed TB lesion Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Here the disease seems to be a healed tuberculosis. Usually tubercular lesion heal by fibrosis and preferred site of the disease is right apical part of the lung or superior segment of lower lobes... Calcification is also part of the healing process.... I don't think its a serious problem if few lesions are there....You must have told about the symptoms and problem at present.... Best wishes

Follow-up: What does few fibrotic infiltrates in apical segment of right upper lobe and calcified nodular lesion indicate? 5 minutes later
He usually has coughing in d morning and at night.he doesnt hv fever,weightloss, loss of appetite etc..he has montaux test positive and blood test is also positive.

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Go for sputum examination Detailed Answer: Thanks for follow up. I think examination of early morning sputum sample for acid fast bacilli must be done at least for two samples. In TB there use to be a chance of relapse. That must be ruled out. If positive anti-tubercular treatment can be started. If sputum samples are negative then treating physician decides on the basis of montoux, constitutional symptoms etc whether to start it or not. One should remember that cough is the most common symptom of TB and may not be associated with other constitutional symptoms.... If it is TB, it is fully curable.... So relax..

Follow-up: What does few fibrotic infiltrates in apical segment of right upper lobe and calcified nodular lesion indicate? 1 minute later
What are the other chances as you said If it is TB, it is fully curable....So relax..

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Other possibilities can be fungal infections Detailed Answer: There may be other infections like fungal one..... I meant that even if it is TB, it is easily curable.....Sorry for the words...