What does 'endometrium is follicular' mean?

Hi - I'm hoping to conceive in the not too distant future but haven't started 'trying' yet! I'd been experiencing some lower abdominal and back pain so decided to book a private pelvic scan just to be sure that the cause wasn't gynecological. The scan was carried out by a sonographer and because it was a self referral it will not be shown to another healthcare professional unless I decide to take it to my GP. At my appointment I was assured that all appeared normal but I'm slightly concerned that the report states 'the endometrium is follicular and appears septated in the fundus'. After doing a bit of googling I have discovered that septation is associated with difficulty in carrying a foetus to full term. However I can't work out if 'endometrium appears septated' actually suggests a septated uterus as from my (very rudimentary) understanding the endometrium is the lining of the womb rather than the womb itself. Also, just so that I fully understand, does the statement 'endometrium is follicular' mean that I am still in the follicular stage of my cycle? I am on day 15 at the moment but my last 2 cycles have been short (21 days instead of my usual 25/6) so I would have thought that I would have ovulated by this stage? The endometrial thickness was measured at that usual for day 15 of a cycle that is likely to be 26 days at most? On last question - is it possible to have a period without having ovulated? As I said my last 2 periods have been unusually close together. They have also been short (2.5-3 days) and quite light which is not unusual for me but they have been almost entirely brown from start to finish with only the tiniest bit of red blood. Many thanks in advance for your advice. Kind regards, XXXX
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I have carefully read your question, and I will try to make sure I answer everything completely. First. The endometrium appearing follicular means that you were likely in the second half of your period, between ovulation and menses, usually between days 14 or so and 28. The 6mm is a normal thickness at that time in the cycle. Second. It is true that septation can cause problems with implantation and can cause early miscarriages and other problems. However, I wouldn't be that concerned at this point for several reasons. Number one, an ultrasound is not 100% perfect at diagnosing septations. In order to properly diagnose that one would have to look inside the uterus with a hysteroscope. However, even if you do have a small septation like the ultrasound suggested, most of the time that will not cause a hindrance to carrying a full term pregnancy, as long as the septation is small it will often straighten out as the baby grows inside the uterus. However, it may not be a bad idea to talk with your gynecologist about possibly getting a hysteroscopy done. Then the doctor can see the septation and possibly even remove it hysteroscopically if it appears to be a significant problem upon inspection. Third. A true period can only come after ovulation. However, some women that do not ovulate regularly can have irregular bleeding that may be difficult to differentiate from true periods and may seem exactly like a period. However, if you have regular periods every month, it is almost certain that you ovulate regularly. Fourth. It sounds like the lower abdominal pain and back pain are unrelated to your gynecologic organs. If they continue, you should see your family doctor about these problems. I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to ask me if you have any more questions. It is my privilege to help. Good luck on having a baby! I hope you have good news soon!
Follow-up: What does 'endometrium is follicular' mean? 2 hours later
Thank you for your prompt and detailed response and good wishes. You have certainly put my mind at rest but I will discuss the possibility of a referral to gynaecologist with my GP. Best wishes, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: So happy I was able to help! Detailed Answer: please let me know if you need any more information. I hope it all works out well for you.