What does empty gestational sac with dark brown vagina discharge indicate?

Mar 2016

Hi doctor, I am currently 6weeks pregnant and went for a vaginal ultrasound today, a yolk sac and empty gestational sac was only visible, I have had brown discharge the past 5days now only when I wipe, I also had a little bit of dark stringy bits just the once after I wiped, I've had very mild cramps but ongoing since before my period was due, are these symptoms to worry about, I have another scan next week, your advice would be greatful, thanks
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: POSSIBILITY OF MISCARRIAGE IS QUITE HIGH. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments: Trans Vaginal Ultrasound (TVS) reveals Gestational sac around 4 weeks and Fetal Heart Beat around 5 to 6 weeks of gestational age. Empty gestational sac with dark brown discharge is NOT a GOOD SIGN of HEALTHY pregnancy. Here, I suggest her to repeat the ultrasound scan (TVS) after 7 to 10 days for confirmation. Sometimes, late conception may be the cause of late detection of fetal heart beat. If it is not detected on next ultrasound scan, then possibility of pregnancy loss or MISCARRIAGE is quite high with above clinical picture. In addition, you must avoid heavy work, long journey, lifting heavy objects and take complete bed rest. Take healthy protein rich diet with vitamin & Folic acid. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: What does empty gestational sac with dark brown vagina discharge indicate? 6 hours later
Is it possible to be misscarrying without pains or heavy bleeding? Are there other reasons other than miscarriage that causes brown discharge in early pregnancy, how long is the process of miscarriage?? Is there any hope in your opinion that this pregnancy just could be ok or should i prepare for the worst? Thank you doctor for your advice
Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. Very early weeks miscarriage is not always present with pain or heavy bleeding. It is most relevant with your clinical picture and ultrasound. However, you must repeat the vaginal ultrasound scan on the next week (for confirmation) before going to terminate the pregnancy. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist for proper management of the case. Hope, it helps for you. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen