What does elevated AST level mean?

I am looking at my recent blood test results. I am wondering what AST stands for. My result was 55 --- evidently a little high. What does this mean? Also, my carbon dioxide level increased to 33 from 28 five years ago. Any concern?
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Guru 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not of big concern Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic! AST stands for Aspartate transaminase also called serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase (SGOT)which a kind of liver enzyme. First of all, I want to reassure you that usually mildly or sometimes even moderately elevated lAST do not hint towards any serious or long term liver problem. There are some minor conditions which also cause mild elevation in AST, some of which include Cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection, Infectious mononucleosis which are viral infections, being overweight, taking OTC drugs like Paracetamol etc. We need to exclude some other possibilities for elevation of liver enzymes like Alcoholic hepatitis and due to excess fats such as- Cholelithiasis (Gall bladder stones), Cholecystitis (inflammation of gall bladder), autoimmune hepatitis, Hypothyroidism etc. Generally, there would be 10 - 100 times than that of normal, liver enzyme elevation in case of acute hepatitis and <10 times than that of normal in case of obstruction in bile circulation. REGARDING carbon dioxide level increased to 33 from 28- It can be a transient change and may not be significant unless associated with other things. It may vary physiologically also sometimes based on the effort on breathing. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications. If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!