What does elevated AST and ALT levels indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Hello my blood work seems to be abnormal but nobody is calling me back at doctor office to confirm.
Posted Sat, 21 Jun 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
Well, everything is normal beside negligibly elevated AST and sligthly elevated ALT. HDL is not considered to be abnormal in these values.
AST and ALT are so called liver markers and may indicate certain liver and biliary disease.Its elevation is seen in all types of hepatitis,fattly liver, liver cirrhosis, gallbaldder diosrders, biliary obstruction and some less common diseases.
Your findings are not significant and I dont think that you suffer from any liver disease. Most commonly slightly higher ALT and AST can be seen in obese people with fatty liver or in those who take alcohol, even in small amounts.

YOu should do blood work in 2-3 months and see will there be elevation of liver markers. Till that,check your hepatitis markers and do liver ultrasound. But all this is not urgent if you dont have any symptoms. But if you have some symptoms such as weight loss, pain under right rib cage, dark urine, jaundice,nausea and rapid weight loss then you need more detailed gastroenterolgoic work up. WIsh you good health. Regards