What does diagnosis of stage 2 squamous cell cancer on cheek mean?

Oncologist, Surgical
What does a diagnosis of stage 2 squamous cell cancer mean. It is on my left cheek. Will it spresd. How quickly should I have surgery. I am sked for about one month to excise it. Thank you in advance for any guideance you can provide. Thank you very much. XXXX, YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The earlier the better

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for the query. If the doctor has told you that the cancer is stage 2, it means that the disease has not spread to the lymph nodes in the neck. I must however caution you that the final stage will be known only surgery when the entire tumour is sent for histological examination. Please discuss with your doctor whether he is going to remove the neck nodes or not. Depending on the size of the cheek ulcer, this may or may not be necessary in your case. The earlier you get the surgery done the better. Unless there are compelling reasons, it is not advisable to wait beyond 2 weeks. Don't however worry too much about the spread. There tumors are unlikely to spread very rapidly.

Let me know if you have any other concerns. Happy to assist you further.