What does "degenerative changes in in the bilateral hips" mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
If a CT Report says That I have degenerative changes in in the bilateral hips, Does that mean, The hips have changed due to age? Or does it mean I have Arthritis in the hips
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Degenerative changes at 40 means early arthritis. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case and CT report. Degenerative changes at age of 40 means early arthritis. At this early age it can be due to avascular necrosis of femoral head or age related. I will advise you do MRI of hip and you can consult me with reports or with your doctor. Clinical examination is required if AVN is suspected. Till time take analgesic and cartilage protecting medication like glucosamine sulphate. For hip arthritis joint flexion, extension and rotation exercises will help. Physiotherapist will help you better to learn more exercises in proper protocol. Diet rich in calcium and protein will help Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: What does "degenerative changes in in the bilateral hips" mean? 2 hours later
I did a Pelvic CT and Thats exactly what it said. Degenerative changes in Both hips. I also did a Pelvic Mri a few weeks ago and The only finding noted was Scar Tissue in the inguinal area, ( Right side greater Then left) I am trying to figure out if the pain is coming from the scar tissue or The Hips being arthritic, I did see a hip specialist who mentioned That he didnt see any arthritis on his xrays or on the disc that was done for the ct, But yet It mentions Degenerative changes all the same, I am totally confused as to what the pain derives from. I do have pain in the gorin area once in a whille as well

Brief Answer: Explained below Detailed Answer: Hello again Thats good that your MRI does not show major disease. If your pain is increasing on hip movement then it may be due to arthritis of hip. If pain occurs on rest or hip extension only then it may be due to scat tissue in inguinal area. Hip arthroscopy will help to confirm diagnosis of arthritis of hip. Do not worry much ,and continue prescribed treatment by your doctor. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: What does "degenerative changes in in the bilateral hips" mean? 36 hours later
Is a possible That There would be Scar Tissue from The klelbsiella infection around the Hip area itself , that could cause such a pain, It actually hurts more when I am sitting leaning foward, as opposed to standing up My uroligist thinks The Kelbsiella infections was contained only to the bladder and prostate My GP Thinks Otherwise Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Less likely Detailed Answer: Hello again, Scar tissue due to klebsiella infection is rare possibility. Pain arising due to hip joint degeneration is most likely possibility. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.