What does cyst on chest with fever,sore muscle and sore throat indicate?

2 weeks ago i noticed a large acne- like cyst pop up on my chest. I didn't think much of it. However, yesterday, I woke up with a fever (100.9) and sore muscles, and a really sore throat. I figured I had contracted the flu that was going around. However, this evening, I see several more of the cysts have appeared on my neck and chest. They are incredibly swollen and painful. I'm wondering if in fact the two are related.
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Folliculitis skin Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. I have seen the attached pictures. You seem to be developing skin lesions of folliculitis. These are basically a bacterial infection of the root of the hair follicle. When not treated on time, these can be associated with severe pain and can lead to systemic symptoms like fever and generalized weakness. You need to keep the affected area clean and dry. You should clean the lesion with an antiseptic solution twice a day. Apply a topical antibiotic cream like neosporin or mupirocin twice a day. Take some anti inflammatory drug like paracetamol twice a day. This will help in reducing the pain, swelling as well as it will take Care of fever and the body pains. Do not apply oil or any other creams over the affected area. Wear cotton clothes. Drink plenty of fluids and take adequate rest. Hope it help Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What does cyst on chest with fever,sore muscle and sore throat indicate? 22 minutes later
What could be a cause of this, and so sudden? I've never suffered from anything like this before and have a history of clear skin.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Folliculitis skin Detailed Answer: Hi again Such lesions can occur due to pulling of hair follicles. Application of oils or moisturizers or any kind of massaging on the area can lead to such a pull to the hair follicles. Even thing like waxing can cause them. In summer season, these can occur due to excessive sweating. Even wearing of non cotton clothes and undergarments can cause these. Although there is a long list of causes, but in some cases, it is difficult to point out the exact cause of the same. Dr Geetika Paul