What does coughing up of pink and white tissue,indicate?

ENT Specialist
last night I coughed up a thin string of pink and white tissue. I have not had a cold. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nothing to worry, see below for detailed answer. Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, There are very tiny delicate blood vessels in the lining of the throat. When you cough there is a sudden increase in pressure leading to rupture of these vessels . Blood along with the mucus is coughed up as a pinkish mass. There is really nothing to be done. Do not clear your throat or hack or cough very forcefully. If the symptom recurs then you can pay a visit to the ENT to take a look at your throat. Feel free to follow up. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.