What does costochondritis mean?

What is costochondritis? I had crazy chest pain on April 25 at Fenway park. Medical gave me an ECG. The numbers are as follows: vent rate 96bpm. P duration 94ms. Qrs duration 98 ms pr interval 130 ms. Qt interval 350 ms. QTc interval 411 ms. And qt dispersion 18 ms. I also had an inverted p wave. Dr said not to sweat it because I have no pulmonary issues. Can I get further insight. Thanks
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 55 minutes later
Dear Sir
1. Costochondritis is the inflammation of the joint and adjoining area in front of chest, where your ribs XXXXXXX the costal cartilage (the bone like outward extensions from your breastbone). This causes pain in front chest, which increases on touching the involved area. The pain may also increase on deep breathing/ coughing/ excessive movements of chest cage associated with exercise. This is usually a self-limiting condition requiring only symptomatic treatment. Most of the time a cause cannot be deciphered. This is not related to heart or in any way predisposes to heart attack.
2. Your ECG findings are within normal limits. Vent rate~96 (normal 60-100), P wave 94 ms (normal <120 ms), QRS ~98ms (normal <110 ms), PR ~130ms (normal 120-200 ms), QTc~411 (normal 360-440ms). QT dispersion is also within normal limits although it is not a significant measurement now-a-days.
3. Which leads were showing inverted P waves/ that will help me to tell you more.
4. Moreover, A pain, which is in mid chest, comes always on exertion, and relieves by rest is likely to be anginal or cardiac or heart pain. But if the pain comes suddenly, comes as a sudden very sharp pain, lasts for less than a minute, can be elicited by touch or pressure, does not comes up on exercise/running/exertion, it is more likely to be non-cardiac (non-anginal).
I hope I clarified the issue to you. Feel free to discuss more if there is anything else.
sukhvinder XXXXXXX