What does "contusion or nondisplaced fracture of the posterolateral aspect of the lateral tibial plateau" in a MRI report indicate?

May 2014

my mri results showed:contusion or nondisplaced fracture of the posterolateral aspect of the lateral tibial plateau.Small joint effusion.Mild chondromalacia patella. Can you explain,please. I am an RN/ICU any restrictions for now?I don"t feel any pain now,I received cortisone inj into my left knee 3 days ago.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. A contusion or non displaced fracture is the mildest form of fracture. It might be that your pain has been masked by the cortisone injection. Chondromalacia patella is a condition arising due to damage to the cartilage substance of the patella. Usually both the above conditions should cause pain which might vary from mild to moderate. The small joint effusion is a result of fluid collection due to injury. I suggest you give your left knee sufficient rest and avoid overusing it even if there pain is not there. It does not mean that you stop doing your regular work but restrict standing on your left knee and weight bearing on the left side. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek