What does clay coloured stool indicate?

Hi, I am a 50 year old woman. I have had a sinus infection for two weeks. Was first taking Augmentin, but it was not so effective. Now I'm taking Ceftin. The doctor also prescribed prednisone (40 mg for 2 days, 30 for 2 days, 20 for 2 days and 10 for 2 days). I am drinking Kefir and eating yogurt to help with intestinal issues while taking the antibiotics. Last night I went out to dinner and had one drink. Early this morning I had a bowel movement that was very light - clay-colored. I have not had that before. Can you tell me anything about it. Thank you. Christine
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Biliary system disorder, medications can cause it Detailed Answer: Hi Ms. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. The yellowish/dark yellow color to the stools is imparted by bile, which flows into the intestine from the gall bladder, following a high fat diet. Bile facilitates digestion of fat. Some medicines too cause clay colored stools. Usually, absence of bile in the intestine causes clay-colored stools and may be due to problems in the biliary system (the drainage system of the gallbladder, liver, and pancreas). The color of stools has nothing to do with alcohol. However, consult your doctor if you continue to have clay colored stools, in order to rule out underlying/undetected silent gall stones or a liver problem. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What does clay coloured stool indicate? 3 minutes later
Are the medications I am taking associated with clay colored stools? If so, shouldI keep taking them? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue to take medications Detailed Answer: Yes. Clay stools are apparently due to medications. Please continue taking your medicines, as the drug-induced clay stools is of no significance. Take care