What does chest pain indicate?

I'm a 53 yr old man with slight pain in my chest. I am concerned about a heart attack and took my blood pressure which was 116/81. my question is can my bp being normal rule out the possibility of a heart attack. Thank you
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Chest pain is NOT due to a heart attack! Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Firstly, all chest pains are NOT due to heart. There are several structures in the chest which can cause pain : chest skin and underlying tissues, muscles, ribs, pleura ( a thin covering over the lungs) and, the nerves. Apart from these, hyperacidity is the commonest cause of chest pain. The ongoing slight pain in your chest (with an ideal BP) is most likely due to spasm of the chest muscles- (the commonest cause); or, the ribs. IN BOTH CASES, a short course of anti-inflammatory drugs will relieve you of the pain. Pain due to heart problem is precipitated by exertion, lasts only for a few minutes and may radiate to the left shoulder/upper arm/jaws. On the other hand, pain of heart attack is severe/very severe, and associated with profuse sweating, dizziness, palpitation, fainting feeling, nausea or vomiting. Lastly, if you do wish to clear your doubts once for all, get an ECG and TMT done. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me. Let him examine you to identify the exact cause of chest pain and prescribe appropriate treatment. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What does chest pain indicate? 39 hours later
If my blood pressure is 116/81, does it mean that I can't be having a heart attack?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Blood Pressure is within the ideal range. Detailed Answer: As I mentioned earlier, your blood pressure (116/81) is within ideal range. Hence, the chest pain is NOT due to a heart attack.