What does chest X-ray impression fibrotic scarring ad pleural thickening?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
My chest xray impression is fibrotic scarring,left upper lobe with left apical pleural thickening.is this curable.i feel so worried.i need ur help.thank you.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Suggestive of old healed disease Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following: 1. Left upper lobe fibrosis with apical pleural thickening is suggestive of old healed disease. It is akin to scar mark due to previous injury to lungs as a result of previous infection. It is an irreversible process and hence is normally not reversible. However there is no active disease at present. 2. You can maintain lung functions with chest physiotherapy and incentive spirometry. Please visit a physiotherapist regarding this. 3. There is an option of surgically removing the fibrosis, if it is localised but there are risks associated with any surgery. 4. You are advised to take flu and pneumococcal vaccinations. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: What does chest X-ray impression fibrotic scarring ad pleural thickening? 10 minutes later
Thank you dr, you are a blessing w/ the information you had given me. I was relieved w/ my wrong speculations... I will see a physiotherapist as per your advised. Good day!!!

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks Detailed Answer: Thanks. Please do not worry. Physiotherapy will definitely help you. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist