What does ""cardiac silhouette appears to be without calcifications" mean?
User rating for this question
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi and welcome to hcm Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Well, cardiac calcifications dont refer only to coronary calcifications. Calcifications can be seen in aorta, valves,myocard or pericard so it is good for you that there is nothing seen on cardiac silhouette. Coronary calcifications indicate coronary atherosclerosis but the exact percentage of blockage cant be so easily determined without coronarography. So if there are no calcifications it doesnt mean that there is no atherosclerotic plaque or some minor blockage so we cant say it is 0% blockage.
Follow-up: What does ""cardiac silhouette appears to be without calcifications" mean? 14 minutes later
I was under the impression that a CT angiogram actually did determine the percentage of the blockages. I know that a catheterization is the gold standard but I thought the CT angiograms were supposed to be highly accurate these days in identifying blockages. I guess my main concern is this -- the cardiologist reads the report and makes no suggestions for further tests so I assume he feels the CT angiogram doesn't indicate significant CAD. Is that a dumb assumption?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 9 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Ct is hoghly specific,thats true and considering this finding you dont have to be worried. Radiologist is usually not the one who should recommend further tests and treatment plan, but I agree that coronarogrpahy is not necessary if there is no pathology seen on ct angiogram so this is not dumb assumption. CT may miss some minor vessel obstruction but anything significant and symptomatic would be noticed.
People also viewed
- Drugs/medication for rectal skin fistula
- Spontaneous finger bruising
- Drugs/medication for bacteremia
- Get rid of bruises faster
- Bronchitis or pertussis
- What is a borderline cardiac silhouette
- Drugs/medication for cysticercosis infection
- What causes a cardiac silhouette
- Drugs/medication for lichen ruber planus
- Bruised ribs heat or cold
- What is cardiac silhouette is borderline enlarged
- What does cardiac silhouette appears to be without calcifications mean
- Reduce bruise healing time
- What is enlarged cardiac silhouette
- Drugs/medication for stump neuromas