What does bump at the base of sternum indicate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was doing some light calisthenics (push-ups, then crunches) when I noticed a bump at the base of my sternum. Feels like it's about a half-inch wide, not tender, and bone-hard. What is it?
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get x-ray done. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. It is usually seen that in lager percentage of cases, normal individual may have bump at the base of sternum. Problem arises only, if it is red, swollen, painful. Please answer following questions- 1.Since when it is there? 2.What are the dimensions of it? 3.Is it attaches to skin or free? 4.Is there any history of trauma to this area? 5.Any history of weight loss, fever ,any other therapy or drugs you are taking? You should get your x-ray chest AP view done. Discus answer of all above questions with your doctor, then your doctor will do your physical examination and some blood tests including hemoglobin, T.L.C, D.L.C, E.S.R etc. Because physical examination is very important in your case. Send me report of x-ray and physical examination. Only then your diagnosis can be made. In rare cases, a lump on the sternum may result from a tumor. Such masses found in the sternum are often benign or non-cancerous. A cancerous tumor around the sternum usually occurs due to a malignancy’s spread from a neighboring structure like the lungs. Either tumor type may or may not feature chest pain and fever as additional symptoms, depending on the size and precise location of the mass. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask further health related queries. Thanks. Dr.Singh.
Follow-up: What does bump at the base of sternum indicate? 1 hour later
1) I only noticed the bump this morning. 2) It seems to be about 1 cm wide by a bit more than 2 cm long (parallel with the sternum). 3) It seems to be underneath the skin, attached to the sternum. 4) No history of trauma to the area. 5) I have been very gradually losing weight by cutting sugar and excess carbohydrates from my diet, and light exercise. No changes in appetite. I will schedule an appointment with a local physician for an exam and an x-ray.
Follow-up: What does bump at the base of sternum indicate? 1 minute later
Also, I am taking some medications for my asthma -- Montelucast and Symbicort.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Send me reports of above mentioned investigations. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for query again. My friend form your follow question, it is clear that you are more on safer side. But still your blood test report and x-ray report is not there in front of me, so it is difficult to comment on your condition . Once your x-ray report , physical examination report and blood report is uploaded only then your final diagnosis can be made. Nothing to worry, just wait for your reports, avoid push-ups and crunches till your reports come. Do not take any medicine without discussing it with your doctor. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask further health related queries. Thanks. Dr.Singh.