What does blockage in bile duct and a fatty liver indicate>

Please help me I am out of my mind with worry. I had my gallbladder removed by laprascopic cholecystectomy 18 months ago. I recovered well after this. Unfortunately I have started with similar pain again and was sent for an ultrasound scan which has found a blockage in my bile duct and a fatty liver. I am worried to death the blockage is a tumour. I am being sent for a MRI scan waiting for the appointment. If it was some kind of tumour would the scan be done much quicker? Can they tell on the ultrasound scan if it is a tumour. Please help me asap I am sat here in a state crying. I have been referred to a Liver Specialist I go tomorrow, please help me I scared to death why have I been referred to the Liver Clinic? Is the Liver Clinic the same as Gastroenterology?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 hours later
Brief Answer: bile duct cancer is rare Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic It is completely understandable to be concerned, cancer of the bile duct however, is very rare. In England and Wales, the prevalence of bile duct cancer in females is 2.8 per every 100 000 thousand people. It is a very rare occurrence. The chances of the obstruction being cancerous are slim. The MRI is a more detailed examination and would be able to give more information than the ultrasound which was only able to determine that a blockage is present. The bile ducts are found in the liver, this is the reason you would have been referred to a liver clinic. There are other causes of blockages in the bile duct such as: strictures (scar tissue causing narrowing), stones, cysts, inflammation of the liver can also compress the bile ducts). The ultrasound also identified fatty liver which is also becoming more prevalent. Fatty liver is classified as (1)alcoholic fatty liver (fat builds up in the liver due to excess alcohol use ) or (2)non alcoholic fatty liver (this is usually related to a diet that has a high levels of unhealthy carbohydrates, the carbohydrates are converted to fat and build up in different parts of the body including the liver or if there is not enough activity) Fatty liver may not progress and remain as only the build up of fat or progress to affect the function of the liver. If the cause of the fatty liver is found and stopped then the liver would not have any further problems. Yes, it is understandable to be worried but the bile duct cancer , though is can occur is rare and it is quite possible that the obstruction is related to another cause. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions