What does black stool indicate and can taking levothyroxine cause it?

Are black stools normal? What if you are on the medication levothyroxine?
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: it is not normal Detailed Answer: Hi I'm dr Alok. Pleased to answer your health related queries Black Stool is not normal until unless you have taken charcoal or other blackening agents It usually indicate bleeding in upper part of your intestine and stomach This happens especially when one is on pain killers or aspirin like drugs or any disease which can leads to bleeding in stomach or intestine There is no relation with thyroid medicine Hope this will help
Follow-up: What does black stool indicate and can taking levothyroxine cause it? 2 days later
I've had stomach nausea for several years now on top of this, so I think I'm going to schedule an appointment with my gastrologist. I've also been taking aspirin a lot lately because of my headaches. Thanks for the info.
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: thanks Detailed Answer: Thanks and most welcome Dr Alok